Veterans living overseas can get help receiving their VA benefits directly from the VA through a special program.
The Department of Veterans Affairs’ Foreign Military Service Coordinator (OMSC) program provides specialized assistance to veterans living overseas, with in-person or virtual assistance.
With the advent of COVID-19, the virtual assistance program has been expanded and extended until at least October 1, 2022, according to a July 22 email newsletter.
The virtual assistance program is in addition to in-person assistance offered at Landstuhl Air Force Base, Germany, and Camp Humphreys, South Korea.
Veterans living in Europe should contact the Landstuhl OMSC using the following information:
- Telephone: DSN 314.590.8200; Sales:+49 (0) 6371 9464 8200
- Email: GermanyBDD.VBAPIT@VA.GOV
- Location: Landstuhl Regional Medical Center Building 3724, Rooms 110 and 112 Landstuhl, AE 66849
- Visitor hours: Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. local time.
Veterans living in Asia should contact Camp Humphreys OMSC using the following information:
- Telephone: DSN 757-2914; commercial: 050-3357-2914
- Email: KoreaBDD.email@example.com
- Location: Camp Humphreys Department of Veterans Affairs USAG Camp Humphreys BLDG P-6400 APO, AP 96271-5228
- Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to noon, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. local.
Veterans wishing to book an appointment at either of these locations are encouraged to book a virtual or in-person appointment on the Visitor Engagement Reporting App (VERA), Appointment Scheduler you from the VA.
The same VA office that processes Discharge Benefit (BDD) applications also assists overseas veterans. The Benefits Delivery at Discharge program is a VA program that allows separating military members to file for disability up to 180 days before being released, in order to expedite the receipt of benefits.
In addition to the OMSC program, the VA offers several methods of contact for veterans seeking assistance or resolving issues with their benefits:
- Online: Ask VA website
- Phone: 412-395-6272 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday
- GI Bill Questions: 918-781-5678 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday
- Direct deposit and currency conversion: 918-781-7550 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday
Overseas veterans may also receive assistance from the US embassy or consulate in their country. They can visit Social Security’s Foreign Country Services information page for a list of Federal Benefit Units with specially trained staff who can provide assistance with all types of government benefits and assistance issues. .
Veterans living in the Philippines can also visit the Manila VA office for assistance with benefits and medical issues. There is also a VA hospital in Manila.
Stay on top of your veteran benefits
Military perks are constantly changing. Track everything from payroll to healthcare by subscribing to Military.com, and access up-to-date payrolls and more with all the latest benefits delivered straight to your inbox.
Show full article
© Copyright 2022 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.